Thursday 29 March 2018

Blog #61 - Snug As A Bug In A Rug

Saturday,  29 July 2017

Three years ago this month my mum passed away.
 
Our family had previously planned a weeks holiday together
but this had to be cancelled due to a funeral
and my being responsible for sorting out the family estate.
 
Somehow the family vacation never was rescheduled
and Keith and I had not taken a holiday together.
 
We finally made arrangements for a weeks vacation this month at Puka Park -
a secluded retreat amongst the bush at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Coast.

Pictured below is the resort restaurant, guests lounge, library, etc.
The day before we were due to leave for our holiday
bad weather affected the whole country - snow, wind and rain.

Woke on the day we were due to travel
to the Napier/Taupo highway still being closed with snow,
so too, the Desert Road with snow
and there had been a slip on the Gisborne/Whakatane highway
that closed that road.
 
All three quickest routes from the Hawkes Bay to our destination impassable
and no possibility of any of the routes being opened later in the day
and possibly not the next day either.
 
Late in the afternoon we decided to go the long way to our destination
and so travelled to Wanganui for a night
and the next day travelled from Wanganui to New Plymouth,
to Te Kuiti, to Hamilton, and then across to the Coromandel Coast.
 
A very LONG trip, finally arriving at our destination late afternoon.
 
But what a beautiful and peaceful location!
 
Our double chalet was nestled into the bush
and therefore very private and was very cosy.
When sitting in the lounge there was a view out to the beach/inlet.
Keith had a much needed rest - reading, sleeping and taking long walks
and I spent the days occasionally computer charting more alphabet letters
but mostly stitching.

We rearranged the furniture to accommodate me and my passion!
 
Here are a few pics of us -
me snuggled up in a blanket and doing what I love
 
and Keith resting.
I was tired of stitching alphabet letters
and so the piece I was working on was one of Gigi's designs.

A sampler reproduction.
Design Title:   Susie Pierce 1889
Designer:  GigiR
Design Code:  GR:SP
Design Price:   NZD 32.50


 One of the days Keith and I travelled to Whitianga for the day
to the home of Margaret - president of the local Embroidery Guild.
 
Margaret had arranged a special stitch day and luncheon
for myself and other ladies from Whitianga and Coromandel.

A lovely day.
Unfortunately I forgot to take photos.
 
It is a small world though.
 
Nearly 50 years earlier Margaret and I were bridesmaids together.
My lovely cousin, Kevin, married Margaret's equally lovely sister, Merrill.
Where have those years gone?!

Bride:  Merrill
Groom:  Kevin Pepperell
Bridesmaids:  Margaret Dawson & myself
Best Man:  Howard Martin
Groomsman:  Ken Stephenson
Junior Bridesmaid:  Sandrea Dulieu
Flowergirl:  Gillian Dulieu
 
Sandrea  &  Gillian  -  sisters
and cousins to Kevin and myself
 
Pepperell is a well-known Upper Hutt name.
 
Kevin is the son of Cliff & Vi Pepperell.
Cliff Pepperell Ltd  -  menswear store & later, womens too)
 
Sandrea & Gillian's parents owned and operated a sports shop in Upper Hutt
and my Mum & Dad owned and operated a taxi.
(Due to my Dad's war injuries he was not able to fulfil his dream of being a builder)
 
My mum was one of the first female taxi drivers in New Zealand.
I was seven years of age when she began driving.
Before doing this she used to do all the clothing alterations for Uncle Cliff's shop.
 
Today - Kevin & Merrill own and operate a fabulous café in Upper Hutt.
Café Blume  -  14 Main Street, Upper Hutt.
 
Kevin & Merrill do all the cooking and baking.
Food is delicious and café décor gorgeous!
 
One of my favourite roses
(and I have several in my garden)
is 'Margaret Merrill'.
 
I wonder why?!