Tuesday 24 April 2018

Blog #62 - Sampler Gathering 2017

Wednesday,  9 August 2017

As I wrote in my 2015 Sampler Gathering blog - a wonderful few days for sampler lovers
to get together with other sampler lovers to enjoy a shared interest
and to stitch their choice of one of three projects being taught.
 
Fabulous Venue   :   Fabulous Food   :   Fabulous Samplers
 
Awesome Tutors   :  Interesting Lectures
 
 
Mid afternoon of Thursday the 3rd of August Keith and I travelled to Taupo
and while Keith unloaded all the crates containing stock from the car
I began dressing the tables with props and cloths
and sorting out in my mind where and how I would set up the displays.
 
Layout of the room was quite different this year
due to a larger number of class attendees
which necessitated more teaching tables and less room for me.
 
However, it wasn't a concern as managed with several single tables
rather than a connected row of tables,
which in some ways was easier to display,
as able to create a theme for each table. 
 
Here are a few pics -
 
Several ladies allowed me to display their 'Family Quaker Sampler' -
our 2016 mystery sampler project - which I have written about before.
 
Sadly I messed up when I took the photo of Dorothy's lovely sampler.
(Didn't focus it properly).
 
My sincere apologies, Dorothy.
It truly is a lovely piece of work.
Below is a pic of the samplers by Fiona (Hamilton) and Sharon (Napier).
 
Each sampler is so different and therefore each one unique
and meaningful for each needleworker.
 
In addition to the choice of layout
and content of each sampler
and the choice of motifs,
it's amazing the difference
that the fabric and thread choices have also made. 
 
Both samplers shown above have been stitched with Sampler Threads
by 'The Gentle Art'.
 
Fiona's sampler (greens - Green With Envy)
has been stitched over two fabric threads
 
and Sharon's (turquoise/teals - Mediterranean Seas)
has been stitched over one fabric thread.
 
One of the many highlights during the weekend
was the lecture by Priscilla Lowry of Auckland,
who for seventeen years was the director of the Schuster Gallery in London,
has a degree in Medieval History from London University
and for many years has been a lecturer in all aspects of the history of silk,
art and medieval history in both the UK and NZ,
and who regularly holds exhibitions of her work.
 
There was a parade of exquisite hand-made jackets made by Priscilla.
 
Pictured is my friend, Joy, modelling one of Priscilla's beautiful pieces.
The jacket went home with her!
 
I especially love the Sunday mornings of this special weekend  -
"Show and Tell"
 
All sorts of samplers are shown.
 
Antiques   :   Reproductions   :   Own Designs
 
Truly stunning.
 
Next Sampler Gathering is to held in 2019.
 
Plan to be there.
 
I assure you that you will have a wonderful time!